Pattern: Simplicity 2245, Lisette Portfolio, size 8
Fabric: Gurteen stretch cotton mix from Croft Mill, here, £5.50 per metre. I bought 2.5 m and used just over half of it.
It's 98% cotton 2% lycra and is described on the website as: "woven in dark and pale grey yarns giving a lightly marled appearance to the surface, it's about the weight of a moleskin and in fact been sanded or peached finish to give it almost a moleskin feel". I'd agree with that!
Other: Grey 7 inch zip, thread (both from stash).
Process: This was a really speedy project. I have had this fabric in the stash for several months, and wasn't sure what to do with it. I was expecting something drapier, but it is almost a stretch denim in weight and behaviour.
Last weekend, I was all set to cut out the Audrey-esque Japanese-pattern trousers I previously made in black stretch cotton sateen. These ones. I wear them at least once a week, but to be honest they look a bit saggy-bottomed by the end of the day: the stretch has no recovery and I suspect they are too big. So I put the pattern away again.
I like the look of the Colette Clover pattern, but the level of "fitting" which they seem to inspire in so many sew-ists puts me off.
Then I remembered the Portfolio pants pattern.
I decided to make a size 8, rather than the 10 that my measurements indicated. This strategy has been paying off recently with Simplicity Lisette patterns.
I thought the stretch in the fabric would give me a bit of lee-way, and to be honest there was so little difference between sizes in the paper pattern, I reckoned I could adjust the seam width if need be.
I started sewing at 10.30am.
By lunch-time, I was inserting the zip.
ETA: I didn't put the tabs on as I thought they would look too fussy.
I got so carried away with the ease of stitching that I forgot to try them on until they were done - oops!
They are very nearly perfect.
I like the way they look from the front and the side views.
However, there is absolutely no possibility of tucking anything in at the waist. They fit me like jeans.
And the back view?
Ah yes... there's the issue! Quite apart from the fact that I didn't iron my blouse or do up all the buttons, there is a definite hint of VPL.
They are a trifle snug.
Lucky it's stretch fabric with a double row of stitching on that back seam!
However, I am really pleased with the overall shape.
And I still have enough fabric left to make another pair!
Next time, I am going for size 10 and I am going to use the fabric the other way out, which looks like black denim.
I am almost certain I will be able to wear them to work and that they will have enough "give" not to cut off my circulation when I sit down.
Yes, you do sense some reservations! I suppose I am so accustomed to wearing wide-legged trousers that a jeans-type fit comes as a surprise. OK I admit it: they are slightly too tight.
So very nearly perfect! Sigh.