Sunday, August 03, 2014

FO: Le Top Victor, Republique du Chiffon

Bonjour mes amis!
I have been playing with French sewing patterns again.
This is the downloadable pdf "Le Top Victor" by Republique du Chiffon, available here.
You would not think it from these pictures, but I lengthened it by 5cm.
It is definitely supposed to be a cropped top!
I will spare you the out-takes where the wind flipped it right up - eek!
Being very square, it catches the breeze and there is absolutely nothing to keep it down.
This picture shows you just how square it is...
But cute?
I think so.
Which might be a problem for me.
I think I might be past the stage where I can get away with "cute".
Mouton comme l'agneau, peut-etre?
(Mutton dressed as lamb?)

Stats:
Pattern:
Victor by RDC, size 36
Fabric:
Cosmic Blue by Atelier Brunette.  I bought 2 metres from Guthrie and Ghani, which was enough for this and a squeezed-out "Top RDC" (to follow).  You could probably make it out of 1.3 metres at this length.
Process:
Because I could not bear to waste any of this fabric, I gave myself a headache trying to cut two tops out of 2 metres.  The "bonus" top may be a close fit as I had to shave off 1 cm from the back piece - tsk!
This is supposed to be a beginner-level pattern, but you do need to take special care when adding your 1cm seam allowances to the neck bands and sleeve pieces and sew really accurate seams, as the slightest difference between the outside and inside layers will cause you problems when you put them together.
This fabric shows every little pucker, and I ended up with several permanent wrinkles on my sleeve-bands - grrr!


Verdict?
I am really not sure what I think about the finished top.
I am wearing it here with my new jeans... and I am not sure what I think about them either!  They are not even slightly ethical (so that is not up for discussion because I feel guilty enough) and are the skinniest jeans I have ever worn.  I feel like I am wearing a pair of very thick tights.
They are "Wonderfit" jeans from George at Asda and cost £18.  I bought one pair for me and one for The Girl, both in the same size (small) because they are supposed to fit anyone from a size 8 to a size 12...and I think they probably do.
But although they are comfortable, I am out of my comfort zone.
And the same goes for the top.
Dunno...

28 comments:

rosylea said...

Looks super on you, as do the jeans! I find that wearing a thin camisole type vest underneath makes me feel a lot more relaxed about tops like this one....

Katy (Ioftheneedle) said...

I love it all..The fabric, the top, the lipstick, the hair, the boots. It's a great look. And you wear it very well

verykerryberry said...

Looks pretty damn great to me, no mouton visible at all!

SewTypical said...

Both the Jeans and Top look GREAT on you... But a comfort zone is a very personal thing, I know.
:-)

beate grigutsch said...

the top is fab! color and cut are so you!
skinny jeans? i have worn such tight pants last time with 20.... 25 years ago. today i would feel squished and kind of undressed.....
xx

greenmtngirl said...

You may be out of your comfort zone, but you look terrific! I say, wear it a lot and get comfortable. And I agree with Rosylea—wearing a cami underneath makes it easier to wear something a bit short and flippy.

karen ball said...

Both the jeans and top look fantastic on you. Go, girl! You look seriously brilliant.

CarolS said...

Agree, you look really great and no mutton in sight.

Kirsty said...

I'm just about to post my finished Victor (and I was about to buy that fabric - but the shipping from AB to Australia on it was too hideous to justify). Unfortunately I was too stupid and didn't add any length to it. I also had problems attaching the neck and sleeves. I think with a cami underneath to remove any wind dangers you should wear this a lot as it really suits you and the jeans look good. No such thing as mutton dressed up as lamb. Or if there is, I'll happily sit in there as well.

colesworth said...

sew chic!

Nikki said...

This outfit definitely does not say mutton dressed as lamb! You look great in skinny jeans and the top really suits you.

Anita Cross said...

Wow you look stunning.

Colleen said...

NO! It is not cute in the young way that you fear. It is lovely and perfect on you. Don't worry about those things.....

voyagethroughtime said...

I have to agree with everyone else that the jeans and the top both definitely work. I wouldn't have said they were cute, more chic, and its looseness works great with the fitted jeans.

Looks great!

Lynn Barnes said...

"I am too old to wear this" is such a personal line to draw for oneself. I would not think this at all age-inappropriate for you (since I wear a variant of the look most days of my life, and I have a few years on you). The blouse is so close to a chiton that you look quite like a classical Greek statue, posed on your wooden pedestal! Can't ever be wrong to be dressed as a classical Greek.

Donna Hensley said...

You are rocking that look!!!

angeeza said...

I love this top, I love to wear it, and I love your look with "Victor" and your slim jeans !

Janey Missymoo said...

I love this outfit and think you pull it off brilliantly, you look fantastic. I hope you start to feel more comfortable wearing both items!

Unknown said...

As a knitter/sewist, I enjoy your blog - your knitting is fantastic - so many ideas you provide for socks! I should have commented long ago, but just had to chime in about this outfit. It looks very polished and stylish. Very flattering! I do hope you decide you like it!

jessica said...

My very first reaction was: very sophisticated, Roo! Truly. Although I hear you on the "tight jeans" piece - not that I think these are too tight on you, rather that I personally am sometimes challenged when I try to slip into a pair of them. But they DO make it easy to wear certain tops - like this one! Which I hope will be worn quite often :-).

Fabric Tragic said...

Chic, not mutton-esque! The volume of the top balances out the skinniness of the bottom. You have to be comfortable of course, but sometimes it just takes time to get used to a different silhouette. I think you look really stylish and timeless. I hope in time you agree :)

Marie said...

Ethical or not, those skinny jeans look incredible on you! And I think you rock the top as well, because you've got the perfect figure for it! The whole outfit/styling with the hair/make-up is perfection!

BippityBoo JewelrySupplies said...

I agree with the crowd!! I would say that here in the states that many well-dressed women, (ahem, in our age group, i.e. 45+) are wearing very skinny jeans with interesting tops which speak to interesting style and design.

We are banning "The Frump"

Yeah, as Marie has said above, you've got the whole package. The whole thing works very well.

Frankly, I have a much bigger derriere than you do, and I'm tellin' you...wearing jeans like those, with a nice top or sweater, and a tiny bit of boot heel--all the much easier to strut your stuff.

poppyinstitches said...

the top, jeans, boots combo works brilliantly and no one is ever too old for cute when it looks this good!

tim's wife said...

Well, I think you look great, and why not show off your trim figure with those jeans. Replace the word "cute" with "whimsical" and then it just becomes a fun style.
The whole outfit gets a "thumbs up" from me.

velosewer said...

This is such a cool look.

Scruffybadger said...

I know I'm coming in backwards having already read your later post....and described you as looking cute in that one! Hahaha! I didn't know, honest! But I didn't think cute when I saw this, I thought elegant. Now I think that's the way you've styled it- the beads bring a classic chicness. And wearing with your skinnies and boots- edgy. So part chic part edgy is what I'm seeing ! Fab look !

Sarahel said...

Belatedly I agree with all the others. You look awesome. But I totally understand your qualms. I'm the same age and would have the same concerns from the inside. It's so much easier to see what works or doesn't on someone else. And this certainly works on you.