Tuesday, August 19, 2014

FO: Stop Go Dinosaur Socks

What is it with little boys and dinosaurs?
My toddler son was obsessed by the creatures.
He later moved on to knights and pirates, but "diddors" will always have a special place in his heart.
At 21, he may no longer carry a tiny stegosaurus in his pocket (though I wouldn't put it past him) but I reckon he will appreciate some warm dinosaur socks this winter.
Red or green?  Which do you prefer?
One of each!
They are not quite matching, as there was a knot just past the heel turn of sock 2 and I didn't quite get the stripes re-aligned.
The difference is more noticeable at the toes.
But really?  I don't think anyone will be looking at his toes when there are dinosaurs dancing round his ankles!
Stats:
Pattern:  The chart comes from the Brachiosockus pattern, but I adapted it to be top-down over 72 stitches, so the dinosaurs are the only thing these socks have in common with the original.  I have written extensive notes on my Ravelry page for these.
Yarn:  Online Supersocke 100 Paradise Color for the self-striping background; Online Supersocke 100 in plain black for heels and toes;  Yarn Yard Toddy sock for the red and green - leftovers from FL's Wallace socks and my Fred and George socks.

This is the last pair in my Summer of Socks season.  I have cast on for the Woodcutter's Socks, but other projects are taking up my knitterly energies right now, including some exciting test-knitting on the horizon - woo hoo!  Looking forward to that! :)

11 comments:

littlegreyhedgehog said...

Awesome. My toddler daughter is rather fond of 'saw-saws' at the moment.

ravelledsleeve said...

Those are fantastic!

Ingrid K. said...

Hello!
These are great, I really like how you did them, especially the idea with the dinosaurs in 2 bright colours!
Ingrid xx
http://myfunkycrochet.blogspot.be

CarolS said...

Love them, maybe I can achieve such one day.

cutitoutstitchitup said...

These are fab!
I'm not sure I'm ready for knitting in shape yet - but I do love the self striping background.
I think I need to push myself a bit with techniques.
I did knit some socks for my toddler but his fee grew so quickly the window of wear was about 1 week!

Sarah said...

I realise this is off subject but thanks so much for your info on fabric stores you sent me. I've arrived in Aberdeen to visit my sister and I have a piece of Australian Indigenous print fabric I'd love to gift you if you'd like it. It's designed by Indigenous women and the designs are then screen printed As far as I'm aware they get paid ethically for their work too. It's quite heavy weight and cotton and may only be suitable for home wears but it's a lovely print. Let me know your details by email if your interested and I'll post it off to you.

Sarah from Western Australia.

Ms Goodenough said...

Playful and practical :)

pennylibrarian said...

:-) My son used to sport a small sauropod. In fact, despite being a new-teen there are still more than a handful of dinosaurs at various locations about his bedroom. Some of them glow in the dark - all kind of awesome! As are the socks, you rocky, socky superstar you!

Lynne said...

Gosh, this socks are brilliant!! Hope your son loves them, how could he not?!

Daisy said...

OK, the dinosaurs are totally fabulous!

acharmofmagpies said...

Absolutely fantastic. These socks are made of even more happy than the striped ones! They're just a smile waiting to happen.