Thursday, August 07, 2014

Making it Work

Goodness - that was an unexpected surge in comments!  Thank you all for your supportive words on my latest sewing venture "Le Top Victor" :)
It was interesting that FL had made no comment on this garment until I mentioned my surprise at the number of notes I had received from readers.  "Really?"  he said "That's odd - it's not your best.  It's a bit... maternity".  Great.  At least he didn't say "It makes you look like the side of the barn" though perhaps that what he was thinking!
However, having a stubborn streak, I was not going to give up on this top so easily.  I love the fabric, the neckline and sleeve length please me, and actually I love the swishy swooshy freedom of such a loose shape:  perfect on a hot summer's day!
Ah.  The problem is, we are running out of hot summer days for this year and the North East wind is starting to blow a little chilly-ly.  So I hereby wish to thank those intelligent commenters who advised me to wear a cami / vest underneath.  Well duh
I have been muttering about needing a cami / vest-thing ever since I made my Camber top out of semi-transparent voile.  But my ethically twisted nature made the thought of purchasing such a garment horribly tortuous.
Perhaps buying Asda jeans made any other purchase look like fairtrade organic nirvana, but I just sucked it up and bought a couple of long-line modal camis (one navy and one black) from "Me and Em".  I had been browsing their sale in a wistful way for days.  Of course, these were not reduced.... pah!
I was pleasantly surprised to discover they were made in Portugal.  There is a fair chance they were a more ethical choice than the Asda jeans.
It is not that I don't care about ethics anymore, so much as I am worn out by the self-imposed requirement to wear a halo and feel not-quite-put-together as a result.
I had managed until now without simple black and navy cardigans (Boden), essential camis (Me and Em) and a pair of skinny jeans (Asda)... but the "need" for these garments did not go away in at least two years of searching for the perfect ethical option.  And I actually sent perfectly good me-mades to the charity shop because I could not make them work without such basic wardrobe staples to underpin them.
All of which is a long-winded mea culpa:  Forgive me readers, for I have sinned.
Never mind, eh?  Can I move on now?
What I wore today:
me-made watermelon linen Deer and Doe Chardon skirt
me-made top Victor
Me and Em long-line modal cami in navy
Boden black cardigan (from the sale)
My granny's "jet" beads
Insanely blue tights from the bargain bin in Asda (50p!)
Two-tone brogues, an English handmade shoe manufacturer's sample found on ebay in 2011 for £stupid-cheap, recently resoled.

7 comments:

Donna Hensley said...

Love this outfit too - so sassy! :)

Kestrel said...

Those tights were a great Asda find! I need to invest in some nice bright ones this year to perk up my winter wardrobe. Also I love your hair :)

beate grigutsch said...

perfect with the red skirt!!!
i try hard to avoid sweatshop clothing, but i "have" to buy shoes, leggings/socks, bras and panties. dress shirts for the husband. his flat caps. all the things i can not make myself - and i can´t buy secondhand. and we have not the money to buy this stuff at "manufactum". but what i can do is to buy less. wear it for more then one season. mend it if possible. baby steps for me - but when i see the container trains passing my house every day, full of STUFF, i know that you and me are very successful in sustainable life.
envy your shoes!
:-)

Colleen said...

You look great today. I love each and every component of your outfit and you should always wear it!

I am coveting your shoes -- what a stroke of genius/luck to find those. They are beauties.

Scruffybadger said...

Looking cute but uniquely Roo! I like your articulation of what can happen with big principles and how that can limit your outfit options: not quite put together.... I know exactly what you mean. For me it has been not buying any clothes, except undies and even undies if possible. The half polished look achieved with some of my me made cardigans ! And also for me hit and miss success with seeing undies too. Must keep practising!

Karen Venables said...

Your outfit is fantastic. I've been reading your blog for a few months and really enjoy seeing your makes.

I have a quick question about your Jupe Chardon, if that's OK. I'm planning on buying this pattern and making a couple of skirts for the winter. Do you think it would work in a moleskine or a fine needlecord fabric? I'm guessing yes, since you used linen but I thought I'd ask, as I know you've made a couple of these.

Roobeedoo said...

Hi Karen - yes it would be great in a fine drapey cord, but definitely not a thick one as there are lots of layers on the pleats.